FIRPTA (Foreign Investment in Real Property Act)

FIRPTA (Foreign Investment in Real Property Act)


What is FIRPTA? FIRPTA is the Foreign Investment in Real Property Act. The purpose of FIRPTA is to ensure foreign persons who own U.S. Real Estate Property file the necessary tax documents regarding the sale or transfer of the U.S. property. While foreign persons who sell certain U.S. assets are not subject to capital gain on the sale (subject further to the 183-day rule), the same rules do not apply to the sale or transfer of U.S. real estate. Therefore, when a foreign person sells or transfers U.S. real estate, there are additional IRS processes and procedures the parties must go through to ensure tax compliance.

With proper planning (and obtaining the Form 8288-B necessary certificate), the tax impact may be minimized.

Here are five basic tips regarding FIRPTA:

Plan Ahead for FIRPTA

When it comes to real estate transactions, at least in California, the buyer holds all the cards.

At nearly every step of the purchase process (before contingencies are released) the buyer can walk away from the deal. 

And, when FIRPTA is involved, it can delay the sale due to the time it can take to secure a withholding certificate.

That is why it is important that the seller work to obtain any necessary certificates (see below) at the earliest phase possible to avoid a long, drawn out escrow —  and risk the buyer bowing out due to changes in the market conditions, or just overall nuisance of the FIRPTA process.

What is a FIRPTA Withholding Certificate?

The FIRPTA withholding certificate is used to minimize the amount of the sale price that is withheld.

Here is an example of why it is necessary: Michelle is a foreign national owns a U.S. property that she purchased for $800,000. She uses it as a rental property. Michelle sees the market declining and wants to pull the money out so that she is liquid to make other investments. She enters into a residential purchase agreement to sell the property for $840,000.

The capital gain on this type of sale is probably nil, once the expenses are factored into the sale price.

But, unless Michelle is able to obtain a withholding certificate, the US government will require that 15% of the sale price is withheld, which is  $126,000.

Gain vs. Sale Price

It is important to note the difference that the 15% that the US government withholds is based on the sale price and not the gain.

Form 8288-B Withholding Certificate

In order to avoid a 15% withholding, the transfer can apply for a withholding certificate using IRS form 8288-B. 

If the form is accepted by the IRS, then the standard 15% withholding does not apply and withholding based on the transfer or sale of the property will be reduced or eliminated.

Make Sure to File Timely

This is where it gets a bit tricky.

That is because it can take the IRS (even before COVID) can take upwards of 90 days to process the 8288-B request.

If the certificate is issued before the transfer of property, then no withholding may be required.

If the certificate is issued after the withholding it may speed up the time for refund, and if you are familiar with dealing with the IRS — it would be in your best interest to apply before the transfer.

We Specialize in IRS Offshore Disclosure & Compliance

Our firm specializes exclusively in international tax, and specifically IRS offshore disclosure

We are the “go-to” firm for other Attorneys, CPAs, Enrolled Agents, Accountants, and Financial Professionals across the globe. Our attorneys have worked with thousands of clients on offshore disclosure matters, including FATCA & FBAR.

Each case is led by a Board-Certified Tax Law Specialist with 20-years experience, and the entire matter (tax and legal) is handled by our team, in-house.

*Please beware of copycat tax and law firms misleading the public about their credentials and experience.

Less than 1% of Tax Attorneys Nationwide Are Certified Specialists

Our lead attorney is one of less than 350 Attorneys (out of more than 200,000 practicing California Attorneys) to earn the Certified Tax Law Specialist credential. The credential is awarded to less than 1% of Attorneys.

Recent Case Highlights

  • We represented a client in an 8-figure disclosure that spanned 7 countries.
  • We represented a high-net-worth client to facilitate a complex expatriation with offshore disclosure.
  • We represented an overseas family with bringing multiple businesses & personal investments into U.S. tax and offshore compliance.
  • We took over a case from a small firm that unsuccessfully submitted multiple clients to IRS Offshore Disclosure.
  • We successfully completed several recent disclosures for clients with assets ranging from $50,000 – $7,000,000+.

How to Hire Experienced Offshore Counsel?

Generally, experienced attorneys in this field will have the following credentials/experience:

  • 20-years experience as a practicing attorney
  • Extensive litigation, high-stakes audit and trial experience
  • Board Certified Tax Law Specialist credential
  • Master’s of Tax Law (LL.M.)
  • Dually Licensed as an EA (Enrolled Agent) or CPA

Interested in Learning More about our Firm?

No matter where in the world you reside, our international tax team can get you IRS offshore compliant.

We specialize in FBAR and FATCA. Contact our firm today for assistance with getting compliant.

    Schedule a Confidential Reduced-Fee Initial Consultation with a Board-Certified Tax Attorney Specialist


    930 Roosevelt Avenue, Suite 321, Irvine, CA 92620

    Font Resize