Effective OVDP Lawyer Representation for IRS Offshore Tax

OVDP Lawyers: Our Attorney Team represents clients worldwide with IRS international tax issues involving OVDP, FBAR, FATCA and Streamlined Filing cases. When clients have an offshore disclosure issue, they are scare. Our goal is to help clients regain their peace of mind. 

The IRS take an aggressive position on matters involving foreign accounts compliance (such as FATCA and FBAR),

Our representation includes:

How to Hire Experienced OVDP Counsel?

Generally, experienced attorneys in this field will have the following credentials/experience:

  • 20-years experience as a practicing attorney
  • Extensive litigation, high-stakes audit and trial experience
  • Board Certified Tax Law Specialist credential
  • Master’s of Tax Law (LL.M.)
  • Dually Licensed as an EA (Enrolled Agent) or CPA

Here are 5 important questions to ask the OVDP Lawyers you are considering hiring for an offshore voluntary disclosure case:

OVDP Lawyers: FBAR, FATCA & IRS Streamlined Disclosure

OVDP Lawyers: FBAR, FATCA & IRS Streamlined Disclosure

Is the OVDP Attorney a Board-Certified Tax Law Specialist?

The Board-Certified Tax Law Specialist credential is the top credential in tax law. Most highly-experienced OVDP lawyers will have earned this credential. It is earned by less than 1% of attorneys nationwide. The test is offered in many states, such as California, Texas, Florida, and more.

Since IRS tax law is federal law (a practitioner must only be licensed as an attorney in one state to practice federal tax law) and the credential is so coveted, that many attorneys will seek out licensure in another state that offers the exam, just so they can sit for the exam, and become a board-certified specialist (the exam requires significant tax experience, education and recommendations from attorneys and judges).

*The credential requires several continuing education classes in tax law every 3-years.

How Many OVDP &  Offshore Disclosures Has the Attorney Prepared?

This is a crucial question.

Just earning a CPA or EA credential and/or LL.M.,  does not substitute for extensive offshore disclosure experience — it complements it.

They say it takes 10,000 hours to master a skill. We will tell you, NO ONE ever masters tax law. But, if your attorney has earned advanced tax credentials and handled several hundred streamlined cases and offshore voluntary disclosure program submissions, you will be in good hands. When pressed, if the OVDP lawyers you are interviewing respond to this question with a “a good amount,” “a few dozen,” or “many” – but refuse to provide you a solid number or range – it means they are probably not as experienced as they want you to believe.

Attorney & Litigation Experience 

When it comes to offshore disclosure, one of the key components is developing and executing an offshore submission legal strategy. OVDP lawyers who specialize in this area of tax and law spend countless hours assessing client facts, to develop the best plan possible under the client’s specific circumstances. That is why you need an attorney with extensive experience, and a strong background in litigation and trial work.

Just working in a non-legal role for the IRS or an accounting or finance firm provides no experience to draw from when it comes to handling offshore voluntary disclosure. These smaller, less-experienced firms are notorious for submitting willful clients into the streamlined program to make a quick buck off the consumer.

Don’t be misled by inexperienced counsel.

We inherit these types of cases all the time:

Does the Attorney have an Advanced Tax Law Degree?

If you are researching  OVDP lawyers, you will come across many different acronyms – enough to make your head spin. But, one of the most important acronyms is called an LL.M. or a “Master’s in Tax Law.” Tax Law is incredibly complex and continues to evolve. Therefore your attorney should have this advanced credential.

Dually-Licensed Attorney Team Leader

In addition to having 20 years of attorney experience, being a Board-Certified Specialist and having earned a Master’s of Tax Law, the lead attorney should also be a licensed Enrolled Agent or CPA, and the attorney’s team should handle the entire matter, in-house — flat-fee, full-service. 

We Specialize in Streamlined & Offshore Voluntary Disclosure

Our firm specializes exclusively in international tax, and specifically IRS offshore disclosure

We are the “go-to” firm for other Attorneys, CPAs, Enrolled Agents, Accountants, and Financial Professionals across the globe. Our attorneys have worked with thousands of clients on offshore disclosure matters, including FATCA & FBAR.

Each case is led by a Board-Certified Tax Law Specialist with 20-years experience, and the entire matter (tax and legal) is handled by our team, in-house.

*Please beware of copycat tax and law firms misleading the public about their credentials and experience.

Less than 1% of Tax Attorneys Nationwide Are Certified Specialists

Our lead attorney is one of less than 350 Attorneys (out of more than 200,000 practicing California Attorneys) to earn the Certified Tax Law Specialist credential. The credential is awarded to less than 1% of Attorneys.

Recent Case Highlights

  • We represented a client in an 8-figure disclosure that spanned 7 countries.
  • We represented a high-net-worth client to facilitate a complex expatriation with offshore disclosure.
  • We represented an overseas family with bringing multiple businesses & personal investments into U.S. tax and offshore compliance.
  • We took over a case from a small firm that unsuccessfully submitted multiple clients to IRS Offshore Disclosure.
  • We successfully completed several recent disclosures for clients with assets ranging from $50,000 – $7,000,000+.

Interested in Learning More about our Firm?

No matter where in the world you reside, our international tax team can get you IRS offshore compliant.

We specialize in FBAR and FATCA. Contact our firm today for assistance with getting compliant.

Schedule a Confidential Reduced-Fee Initial Consultation with a Board-Certified Tax Attorney Specialist


930 Roosevelt Avenue, Suite 321, Irvine, CA 92620